December 01, 2010
- Take apart all optical components like lenses, condenser or/and diaphragm, mirror. ( see picture below).
- Reset and readjust the troubled mechanical parts such as loosed ocular tube (for light microscope), troubled coarse or fine adjustment knob.
- Cleansing optical parts such as lenses, condenser or mirror (light reflector).
- Cleansing body parts with glosser or other cleanser
- Setting optical parts to mechanical parts
- Checking with preparation slide
- Labeling with after service label
- Covering with plastic cover to prevent dust from the air.
How often the microscope needs to service?
When we have to service our microscope?
How long period of microscope service?
- Using intensity. In my workplace, department of biology education Faculty of math and natural science education laboratories in Indonesia University of Education (laboratorium Jurdik Biologi FPMIPA UPI), we usually use microscopes in laboratory practice 32 hours per week (5 workdays) or 128 hours per month. Based on that situation, we have to check and recheck microscopes condition maximally once a month and once in every six months for comprehensive check up/service. Generally, in institutions such as middle school, microscope using is only several hours per week. For that condition we just need to check up/ service microscopes minimal once a year. Check up/ service cost will far cheaper than if we just buy the microscope and use it until broken and cannot be repair (technician restrictiveness) then buy the new one.
- User behavior. Even we provide best service, we can’t prevent the microscope become troubled again if user use the microscope without responsibility or doesn’t know about microscope using well. User has to know and understand about service guarantee.
- Institution care and fund allocation for tools routine maintenance.
Now I will show to you about our activities on August 27th 2010, view after we service/ tune up microscopes before college season started on September 1st 2010.
Picture below are microscopes which had been serviced and ready to put in storage box equipped with “Microscope Using Monitoring paper”.